[LAU] UEFI (was How to turn off hyperthreading?)

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Mar 28 22:10:18 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 07:55:02AM +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Like the backdoor that doesn't exist on every cellphone? Or the use of
> social networks to fulfil the CIA's promise project agenda. Or that
> arcfour has not been compromised.
>
> Anyone can choose to believe that UEFI does not have a seriously sinister
> objective if they want. It's supposed to be a free world after all. When
> they nuke North Korea some people will probably want to believe it was
> because the North Korean's deserved it. We are free to believe whatever we
> want to believe. Some people believe in god, some believe in fairies, some
> believe in aliens. Well, you get the point ;-)

What a perfect pile of nonsense.

Cell phones, and cell phone systems, are by law required not to provide
any features that can't be defeated by law enforcement. That is not a
backdoor, it's a documented feature you can or not be aware of.

Social media just expose the data that users want to be exposed. If you
care about your privacy, don't use them. You can't blame anyone for using
data that is publicly available.

The AC4 encryption algorithm has some documented weaknesses. They have
been known for at least 15 years by now. They are also relatively easy
to circumvent. And if you don't trust it, there are lots of much better
alternatives.

Regarding North Korea, it's a repressive police state with a political
regime that only serves its own interests. May I suggest you relocate
there if you like it so much ? At least then we'd be spared the sort of
nonsense you like to spread - you'd end up in some re-education camp
before you know it.

Ciao,

--
FA