[LAU] What is the best MP3 encoder?

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Fri Mar 29 09:41:20 UTC 2013

On 03/29/2013 03:31 AM, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 06:31:24PM +0100, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
>> 48Khz will not help at all when it comes to artifacts and the raw
>> material is usually in 44.1 (and sometimes in 96 or 192) anyway.
>> Speaking about bitrates higher than what the human ear can hear,
>> here is some cool info about high bit rates:
>>
>>      http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
>
> This is highly controversal amongst audio enthusiasts. (Don't mean the
> link, just the subject.)
>
> Interesting discussion:
> http://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/13/03/22/178213/can-you-really-hear-the-difference-between-lossless-lossy-audio

True, it's controversial, but people often mix what is nice with
accurate playing, this subject have two sides:

One is the fact that the ear won't hear over 20k, and for most adults
(even some younger people this days) 12-16k is max

Despite this, many people are enjoying 60k amps even when the recording
is let's say a 44.1. And also vinyl even when the dynamics and frequency
range are bad which leads to the second fact: Distortion, bad dynamics,
interference and other stuff can sound pleasing.

In my conclusion, one have to respect both sides.