[LAU] Realtime Privilege, WAS:Re: OT: what is happening with RT kernel development?

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Sat Mar 30 01:53:47 UTC 2013

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 02:21:22 +0100, <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:

> Le 29-03-2013 21:14, Kaj Ailomaa a écrit :
>
>> this is simply because after you rebooted, your LT1010 became hw:0
>> instead  of hw:1 as it was before.
>
> Indeed.  The 1010LT is now card # 0.  I would not have guessed that
> adding my user name to the group file would do such a change.

It didn't. Adding yourself to audio group let's you get realtime privilege
as it is given to the audio group.
You can see this in the file /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf. This was
the only reason to become member of audio group.

>> You always need to specify which card you will run jack with.
>
> Well, hopefully the system will remain as is, stable as it is.  So as
> long as the 1010LT is # 0 it should be fine, and I'll save notes from
> this thread in my audio notes, just in case an update to packages or
> something changes the way the system behaves.

It is purely by chance that it is hw:0 now, and it will be each time you
reboot.