[LAU] Creating evenly spaced sample chains?

Janus rdxesy at yahoo.de
Fri May 3 15:16:09 UTC 2013

Greetings,

I'd like to chain samples into one new sample such that each input
sample starts at a multiple of a given time value in the output sample
(basically an evenly spaced concatenation). All input samples share the
same format but differ in length. If a sample is longer than the given
time interval it's tail shall be cut off (overwritten by the next one),
if it's shorter, silence shall be added to it's end.

Do you know of a tool or can you think of a command pipeline that would
establish this (putting the samples on the grid in a DAW to export the
result is too much work and also would make me feel stupid!)?

I tried sox so far but it seems that it's not up to the task.

Thanks
vvd