[LAU] Jack vs Jack2, PulseAudio, Speech, Commandline!

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu May 23 17:55:21 UTC 2013

Hello, Kevin:

I'm responding because I'm pursuing a similar set of concerns in similar
circumstances. I am a Speakup and an Orca user (console and gui screen
readers). However, I have little recent jack experience as I'm just now
getting back into music-making on Linux.

I can tell you that it's possible to run both Speakup and Orca without
pulseaudio. Perhaps that might help? It might be worth a test, in any
case. More details on my setup, if you ask.

My current goal is to discover how to enable pulseaudio, but to restrict
it to a particular device only. I want to do this because the preferred
Orca environment is to run with pulseaudio--though, afaik, all one loses
without it are the earcons.

In any case, I certainly don't want pulseaudio to have access to all my
devices, just as I don't want jack running on the audio devices I use
for Speakup and for Orca (two separate devices, unfortunately, because
of driver compatibility issues).

In any case, this is a moderate priority project at the moment for me,
so I do spend time on it as I have time. So far I have come to believe
it would be possible to restrict pulseaudio either via its client.config
or in udev, but I haven't tried any of this yet.

Janina