[LAU] Aeolus 0.8.4, text mode, Ubuntu 12.10

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun May 26 11:08:04 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 04:27:04PM -0600, Kevin Utter wrote:

> Hi all!  I installed Aeolus through the Ubuntu distribution, but of course, I can't use the GUI.  So far I can't get any sound from it, but there could be several reasons.
>
> I'm using the text mode, and it appears that it is working, unless its not actually controling the organ.  Does anyone know if this version's text mode actually works?

It works, but it is very limited. It can show which stops are available
or active and lets you switch them on and off. Nothing more.

> I can't access the MIDI settings as they're in the GUI.
> Can I modify those setting in the ./stops/aeolus/definition file?

No, they are in the 'presets' file which is binary and I wouldn't
want to edit that manually myself... If you just need a static
configuration (everything else should be possible via the couplers)
one solution is to let someone set it up in the GUI and store it as
the first preset which is also the default.

I know that Julien Claessen (on this list) has written some extensions
which make it more usable. He'll probably write to you if he reads this.

Aeolus is scheduled for a *major* rewrite (for its 10th birthday), which
is why since some time the released version is more or less frozen. In
the new release everything is OSC controlled (the GUI becomes a separate
program) so controlling in alternative ways will become a lot easier.

Ciao,

--
FA