[LAU] Out Now: The Magnetophon Sessions, by Munk!

Alf Haakon Lund alf at mellomrommet.no
Tue Nov 5 11:14:55 UTC 2013

On 28. okt. 2013 09:53, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> Munk!, a jazz/ska/funk band from Groningen, The Netherlands, has
> released an album made with free software, The Magnetophon Sessions.
>
> During the hot part of summer 2013, Munk! stayed at the cultural
> freezone Landbouwbelang in Maastricht (The Netherlands) for a week and
> recorded seven new tracks in the unique and inspiring studio
> Magnetophon. During the recordings we played with the whole band at
> once, to get the most musical results. All tracks are
> one-take-recordings, no edits where made when mixing the album.
>
> The Magnetophon Sessions is produced with opensource and free software
> on GNU/Linux.
> Most notably: Ardour2 for recording and mixing, LADSPA plugins for
> mixing, Gimp for graphics, Lives for video art.
>
> Recorded & mixed by Bart Brouns at Studio Magnetophon Maastricht
> www.magnetophon.nl <http://www.magnetophon.nl>
>
> Video clip Off The Chart:
> http://www.munk050.com/
>
> The Magnetophon Sessions, music & artwork:
> http://www.munk050.com/music/
>
> Our advise on price for the digital download would be in the range of 5
> -- 10 euro, but there's no minimum or maximum, so feel free, thanks for
> your support!
>
> Munk!

I just played it through and think it's a nice piece of music. I can't
really comment on sound quality since I didn't have time to LISTEN
(playing in background while doing other stuff, sorry), but it seems to
me all instruments are audible with a nice balance. Feels like played in
a wooden room, would fit excellently in a nice café.

Oh, and I think Magnetophon Sessions is a cool album title.

Thank you for sharing!

Alf