[LAU] another linux audio bashing thread on slashdot

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue Nov 5 17:55:49 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 08:36:37PM +0100, Set Hallstrom wrote:
> right on! actualy, record to a simple and cheap-o cassette tape
> sliiiiiighlty in the red, and then record it back to digital, compress
> it with a nice calf plugin and voila: you have now your own unique and
> really good UA-sound-a-like tape-dirt. <3

I saw a mastering video with a guy who charges US$1k/song or something, and his "secret weapon" was a 2-track 1/4" deck. He'd dump the master mix from ProTools to the 1/4" deck at like 30ips, resample it back, and that got him the sweet lucrative loving he wanted from his customers.

I thought, wow. You take a medium in which even cheap consumer crap has effectively perfect resolution, and dump it to a medium with basically 12-bits resolution (analog tape), and then A/D it back, and that's "the sound" they wanted.

Humans are weird.

-ken