[LAU] A music quality article of interest (OT but not much)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Oct 3 00:29:37 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 02 October 2013 20:23:34 Rob Kudla did opine:

> On 2013-10-02 19:47, Pete Wright wrote:
> > So now (according to Steve Guttenberg) we are back to stomped and
> > pre-chewed, except around LAU where we all still roll our own one way
> > or another.
>
> It's funny: not that I've ever really done music professionally (gigs
> for beer doesn't rise to that level in my opinion), but I actually
> ruined my last original project by mixing it through earbuds. I was
> just really used to the way they sounded and thought they were fine.
> Played back the mix on a real stereo and almost blew out the subwoofer.
> (Maybe the dubsteppers would have appreciated it if it were in the key
> of wom.) But on the earbuds it sounded awesome...
>
> I'm not sure if that means I agree with him or if I just think those
> gall-darn kids need to get off my lawn, dagnabit.

The latter Rob. ;-)  But all that mention does bring fond memories of some
of the gear I threw together in the late 50's to listen to music.  Home
made Dynaco amplfiers,  honking big Karlson speaker cabinets,  Fairchild
Battleship turntables, Weathers capacitative cartridges, all of the above,
I was there too.