[LAU] JACK hanging upon slight USB power glitch

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Oct 14 13:14:20 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:33 AM, Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy at autostatic.com>wrote:

> > I think there must be some automated way for the system to recognize
> > that jack is out of control and kill it. [1] notes:
> >
> >       -t, --timeout int
> >              Set client timeout limit in milliseconds.  The  default
> > is  500
> >              msec.   In realtime mode the client timeout must be smaller
> > than
> >              the watchdog timeout (5000 msec).
> >
> > Interesting... "watchdog timeout"... but I have never seen any effect
> > from the watchdog mentioned here. Jack just keeps locking up the system
> > for way longer than 5 seconds.
>

> Afaik Jack2 doesn't have a watchdog thread.

Neither will the next release of Jack1.

I believe that the lockups here are actually caused by interactions with
the kernel.

I also wasn't aware that anyone had added
robustness-against-device-disappearance to any version of JACK. It was on
my list of things to do while I'm on a JACK-hacking excursion.