[LAU] OT: another linux audio bashing thread on slashdot

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Oct 28 20:42:32 UTC 2013

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>> I remember something my father said when I was very small. "If you *really*
>> enjoy something, never do it as a job". He was right.
>
> Hopefully he is mistaken. Today I try to work for child care, making
> music, drawing etc.. Nobody who dislike it, should care for children.
> However, I fear ... and I really fear it ... your father is right.
>
> But what job should sensitive humans do to own some money for a living?
> Should we work as war lords?

I work as a "Letter carrier" (aka mailman, postman, whatever) and been
surprised at how many of my peers also make music. I think part of what
makes it atractive is the amount of time outside and away from any boss.
Also a willingness to experience the world even when the sun is not
shinning.

As for music as a hobby vs. job... I think in the late 70s when I was
making the choice to do music or get a steady job (so I could own a house
instead of rent one), it was already obvious, that to make it big you had
to be willing to give up any ideals or belief... and make someone else
rich. The time of being able to make your own music and do well had
already ended (pretty much). There has been good music made since then,
but it is hard to find in stores or on the radio.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net