[LAU] OT: another linux audio bashing thread on slashdot

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Oct 28 21:10:00 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-10-28 at 13:42 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> I work as a "Letter carrier" (aka mailman, postman, whatever) and been
> surprised at how many of my peers also make music. I think part of what
> makes it atractive is the amount of time outside and away from any boss.
> Also a willingness to experience the world even when the sun is not
> shinning.
>
> As for music as a hobby vs. job... I think in the late 70s when I was
> making the choice to do music or get a steady job (so I could own a house
> instead of rent one), it was already obvious, that to make it big you had
> to be willing to give up any ideals or belief... and make someone else
> rich. The time of being able to make your own music and do well had
> already ended (pretty much). There has been good music made since then,
> but it is hard to find in stores or on the radio.

"Mister postman look and see
If there's a letter in your bag for me
I been waiting such a long time
Since I heard from that girl of mine"

Rock'n'Roll, Punk Rock, IOW real live.

I Love it, I prefer to carry brigs on a building lot, than to give a
lecture on audio engineering or rock music at an academy.

And again, this is my rock'n'roller _emotion_. I don't condemn anybody
being VDT, being an academic teaching music or what ever.

Everybody has to decide what is important for her/him. Don't care about
ethics! Listen to your heart!