[LAU] [Bulk] Re: OT

Neil djdualcore at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 18:58:48 UTC 2014

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Bill Gribble <grib at billgribble.com> wrote:

> On 04/06/2014 09:28 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> PS: You might like Hüsker Dü. I don't any of their recordings, but it's
>> nice "soft" rock, very good music.
>>

> Be careful here!  HD fans largely disown the latter part of their output
> which matches your description.  "Classic" Husker Du was a loud, noisy
> early-80s Minneapolis hardcore band.

There is a great book about Husker Du by Andrew Earles, Husker Du: The
Story of the Noise-Pop Pioneers Who Launched Modern Rock.  I blogged about
it and some other rock bio books here,
http://oldmixtapes.blogspot.com/2013/02/as-you-may-have-read-in-previous-post-i.html
.

Among the things I love about Husker Du (there are many) is that while they
sometimes seem to repeat themselves within a album, they do not repeat
themselves between albums.  They constantly changed and did every new thing
with the passion of their earliest "too fast to dance too loud to listen"
music, even when it included acoustic guitars or keys.  Compare this to The
Ramones.  I have nothing but love for them, too, but the fact is they only
had one trick and that's all they did until they retired.  Good trick!  But
just the one.

"Baby I Love You" and "Needles and Pins" don't count.  That was wasn't The
Ramones.  That was Phil Specter with a gun to the head of The Ramones.

Neil
--
DJ Dual Core's Blog
http://oldmixtapes.blogspot.com/