[LAU] Anyone used a Firewire-to-USB3 or ESATA adapter?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Apr 16 07:46:06 UTC 2014

My church has a 16-channel Presonus Firewire device that we're not
currently using because (1) my laptop has no Firewire connector (the
dead old one did), and (2) our sound tech's laptop has Windows 7 on it
and apparently there's no Windows 7 device driver for his Firewire PC
Card adapter.

So I thought, maybe a Firewire<->USB adaptor would work. All we used the
Presonus for is recording individual channels. Now I just record 2
channels of essentially-mono output from our mixing board, but I very
much miss the ability to clean up and EQ individual instruments and mix
them better (the volunteer sound people who frequently run our mixing
board don't exactly have the greatest ears, plus the acoustics in our
rented location aren't the best).

My laptop has USB2 and USB3, plus an ESATA port.

I see Amazon has a selection:

Firewire to USB

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Afirewire%20to%20usb%20adapter

Amazon doesn't seem to show a Firewire-ESATA adaptor.

For desktop folk, they list this PCIe card (2 external ESATA, 2 external
Firewire800/1394B, 1 internal 1394B, runs TI XIO2213 chipset):

http://www.amazon.com/NitroAV-Fusion-FireWire800-Professional-Adapter/dp/B0055PG0KE/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397633174&sr=1-6&keywords=firewire+to+esata+adapter

Unfair: There's an Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter! I guess that
will be enough to keep Firewire alive in the pro audio world.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community