[LAU] Anyone used a Firewire-to-USB3 or ESATA adapter?

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Wed Apr 16 09:46:25 UTC 2014

david wrote:
> there's no Windows 7 device driver for his Firewire PC Card adapter.

All FireWire controllers use the same driver interface (OHCI), and that
driver ships with Windows.

If there is a problem, it is with the PC Card controller driver.

> So I thought, maybe a Firewire<->USB adaptor would work.

These are completely different protocols; they cannot be mapped to each
other.

> I see Amazon has a selection:
>
> Firewire to USB
>
> http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Afirewire%20to%20usb%20adapter

These do not work (see the reviews) unless your computer also has
a FireWire controller that is connected to the USB jack.

> Unfair: There's an Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter!

Thunderbolt is just a PCIe bus.

Regards,
Clemens