[LAU] MIDI over firewire on Linux?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Apr 19 02:32:24 UTC 2014

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014, Jonathan E Brickman wrote:

> I realized there was a possibly significant gap in my knowledge of hardware,
> so I searched, and found that there have been a few Firewire devices with
> both audio and MIDI.  The questions I have are (a) are any of them known to
> work well with current Linux, and (b) how is the MIDI supported on the
> backend, is it ALSA?

Jack and jack, both audio and midi. There are rumours of alsa drivers, but
so far as I know they are not there. If you must use it with alsa midi,
start with a2jmidid and use "MIDI Through" if you must. So long as the
application that uses alsa makes some alsa ports you can do all your
connects in jack midi with a2jmidid. But if the app just looks at alsa and
connects direct use the through as well.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net