[LAU] MIDI over firewire on Linux?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Sat Apr 19 08:22:50 UTC 2014

On 04/19/2014 03:43 AM, Jonathan E Brickman wrote:
> I realized there was a possibly significant gap in my knowledge of
> hardware, so I searched, and found that there have been a few Firewire
> devices with both audio and MIDI.  The questions I have are (a) are any
> of them known to work well with current Linux, and (b) how is the MIDI
> supported on the backend, is it ALSA?

i have used focusrite sapphires with good success, both the now
discontinued pro26 and the pro56. FFADO makes midi available as a
jackmidi port, so (as others have noted) you will need to run aj2midid
-e to bridge them to ALSA sequencer clients. i just added it as a
post-startup command in qjackctl and forgot about it.
can't comment on MIDI timing performance, i only ever used it for
controllers, but i don't see any reason to have doubts.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net