[LAU] Record from M-Audio 2496 S/PDIF input

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Aug 2 01:35:18 UTC 2014

On Fri, 1 Aug 2014, Ivan K wrote:

> Well, I have the s/pdif output of my
> USBDualTubePre microphone preamp plugged
> into the s/pdif input of my M-Audio 2496,
> though I have yet to be able to record
> any sound.
>
> I am using Audacity.

ok.

> I have used Audacity successfully in the past
> to record though the analog inputs of the
> M-Audio 2496 (to digitize sound from cassettes
> and vinyl) but Audacity's VU meters just
> don't register anything from the microphone
> going to the USBDualTubePre preamp to the
> M-Audio 2496's s/pdif input.

:)

The s/pdif inputs are 9 and 10 normally (on the ice1712). Audacity will
only record those if you record 10 tracks at a time. You can then split
them into single tracks and then delete unused tracks... The mixer will
not let you change this. If you are using pavucontrol, you can try
setting the device to s/pdif only in the configuration tab... I have the
devices turned off in pluse on my system so I can't check, I run pulse
into jack all the time. Anyway look in the configuation tab for your
device.

Or you can start Jackd first and then set audacity to talk to jack instead
of alsa or pulse. You can use qjackctl to connect audacity to channel 9
for recording. To see levels hit pause and record... infact you will have
to do this before you connect ports with qjackctl.

This is why I would use pulse bridged to jackd so I can connect pulse to
the right ports ahead of time. Then if audacity is using pulse it will
"just work" (for me anyway).

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net