[LAU] Record from M-Audio 2496 S/PDIF input

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Aug 2 07:00:56 UTC 2014

On 08/01/2014 06:58 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Aug 2014, Ivan K wrote:
>
>> Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> writes:
>>>
>>> The s/pdif inputs are 9 and 10 normally (on the ice1712).
>>
>> Damn good information to have.  Where is that sort
>> of information documented?
>
> Not really. But the ice1712 is the same chip used for the delta1010
> which has 8 analog and one s/pdif pair. I just guessed... and kept
> trying inputs till I found it. I also have the USBDualTubePre and had to
> find out with my Delta66... I use inputs 1,2,3,4,9,10  ...
>
>>> Or you can start Jackd first and then set audacity to talk to
>>> jack instead of alsa or pulse. You can use qjackctl to connect
>>> audacity to channel 9 for recording. To see levels hit pause
>>> and record... infact you will have to do this before you
>>> connect ports with qjackctl.
>>
>> This seems most promising to me.
>>
>>   I have audacity started up and in "pause/record mode".
>>   I have qjackctl started up.
>>
>> But I don't really know where to go from here.  I have
>> hit the qjackctl "Connect" button, and see both the
>> "Audio" and "Alsa" tab.  Perhaps you direct me where to
>> go next or direct me to some documentation?
>
> Audacity uses the portaudio library to connect to Jackd.. so in the
> qjackctl connections window and the audio tab you should see PortAudio
> on the right side. Connect system/capture_9 to PortAudio/in_* (the * is
> a number that changes every time you hit record) and you should see the
> left meter showing audio. You may wish to disconnect whatever audacity
> auto connects first. The only documentation to look for portaudio is in
> the audacity setup screen where you set up jack it says:
>
> Using: PortAudio V19 bla bla bla

My experience with recording via Audacity using JACK is that the
PortAudio connection only appears in JACK while Audacity is actually
using it (playing or recording). So I guess you start recording in
Audacity, pause it, tweak the connections in JACK, then continue recording.

I record using a USB card that has only 2 inputs, so I've never had to
tweak the connections JACK provides.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com