[LAU] Record from M-Audio 2496 S/PDIF input

Ivan K ivan_521521 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 2 20:55:15 UTC 2014

Thanks to everyone whom responded.

Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> writes:

> Audacity uses the portaudio library to connect to Jackd.. so in the
> qjackctl connections window and the audio tab you should see PortAudio on
> the right side.

and

"David Jones" <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> writes:

> My experience with recording via Audacity using JACK is that the
> PortAudio connection only appears in JACK while Audacity is actually
> using it (playing or recording). So I guess you start recording in
> Audacity, pause it, tweak the connections in JACK, then continue recording.

Well, no matter if Audacity is recording or playing,
all I see in qjackctl, [Connect], "Audio" tab is:

== ==   Readable Clients/
== ==   Output Ports
== ==   - system
== ==     capture_1
== ==     capture_2

on the right, and then on the left, I see:

== ==   Writable Clients/
== ==   Input Ports
== ==   - system
== ==     playback_1
== ==     playback_2
== ==     playback_3
== ==     playback_4
== ==     playback_5
== ==     playback_6
== ==     playback_7
== ==     playback_8

I see don't see a mention of audacity or portaudio.
Also, does "system" refer to my M-Audio card or
the integrated audio on the motherboard?
If system does refer to my M-Audio card, I don't
see anything in the under Readable Clients/Output Ports
that distinguishes between the s/pdif input and the
ADC input.

On the other hand, when I run mhWaveEdit, as suggested by
Mr. Ovens, I do see the word "mhwe" listed both in
the Readable Clients/Output Ports and Writable Clients/Input Ports.

At this point, I can continue to work with mhWaveEdit
as audacity appears to be problematic.
----

So running mhWaveEdit, I still cannot create any audio
files with actual sound, or see mhWaveEdit's VU meters
show any volume.

So, does "system" in the connect window of qjackctl
refer to my M-Audio card?

Thank you for your suggestions!