[LAU] First release of zita-njbridge

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan.osaudio at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 05:08:12 UTC 2014

~ Russell

> On Aug 4, 2014, at 1:58 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 4 Aug 2014, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>>
>> Zita-njbridge-0.1.0 is now available.
>
> Actually 0.1.1 since then.
>>
>> Zita-j2n and zita-n2j are command line Jack clients to
>> transmit full quality multichannel audio over a local IP
>> network, with adaptive resampling by the receiver(s).
>
> This works very well with my limited testing.

> If you can afford the i/o cards this will work fine. The latency can be very low.
>
> I did:
> Audio file -> IF out
> plus
> Audio file (same jack port) -> zita-j2n -> zita-n2j -> IF out (same port as above)
>
> Jack set to -p64.
>
> There was (of course) some comb filtering but I suspect it was not enough delay to throw off any musicians if it was used for monitoring. I tried both --buff 0 and the default 10. The only difference being the frequency of the comb filtering. The only thing to watch is that the same audio doesn't get mixed with something that has gone through the link. Or mixing two mics, one local and one remote that share the same acoustic space.
>
> Zita-njbridge does not handle on the fly latency changes in jack, so switching latency from really low for tracking to higher for mixdown will mean restarting the link(s). Though the link probably should not be needed for mixing anyway. It wouldn't take much to create a script that "respawed" the link if it was needed.
>
> --

Just out of curiosity, what kind o data throughput did that create? 100mb links? Switch and or router in the middle? Just curious to the interaction across the wire. 1024mb/s (GigE hardware is more modern, firmware typically closer to current) vs 100mb links. The common theory would be that gig 'pipes' only become relevant when data reaches capacity near or over 100mb. Bit like the 32bit vs 64bit OS argument in some ways. Perhaps the differences will be negligible in the end game. But it might be the difference of running that 64/2  link at 32/2... Too!