[LAU] Internal speaker set as default playback, not my usb soundcard.

Andrew C countfuzzball at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 12:48:22 UTC 2014

Speaking of .asoundrc, I had set up my like so (which predictably no longer
works, even though my usb card is still at index 0):

pcm.!default {
    type            plug
    slave.pcm       "softvol"   #make use of softvol
}

pcm.softvol {
    type            softvol
    slave {
        pcm         "dmix"      #redirect the output to dmix (instead of
"hw:0,0")
    }
    control {
        name        "PCM"       #override the PCM slider to set the softvol
volume level globally
        card        0
    }
}

I doubt this would cause a mess up (even so, even *that* is no longer
working, my soundcard ignores any changes made by alsamixer).

At this point, would I guess there's some pulseaudio weirdness happening?
Any ideas how I can use alsa straight up, unless I've somehow been using a
pulseaudio-alsa wrapper this entire time.

To my mind, it makes absolutely no sense why stuff would be playing out of
Card 1, and not Card 0. Or at least why that has suddenly changed to be the
default with this upgrade.

Andrew.