[LAU] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: Audacity on Ubuntu 14.04 is REALLY unstable

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Tue Aug 19 14:25:15 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-08-19 at 06:37 -0400, Alan McKay wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 5:23 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> > So you didn't forget to add the user to the group "audio" ("realtime" or
> > whatever it's called for Ubuntu Studio and you also set up PAM?
>
> Hmmm, neither.   Adding me to group audio makes sense, but what's with PAM?
> What do I have to do there?  I can't find anything obvious with
> google.

To /etc/security/limits.conf or /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf add:

@audio 	- rtprio 	99
@audio 	- memlock 	unlimited

some prefer to give less rtprio, perhaps you'll prefer

@audio   -  rtprio     95
@audio   -  memlock    unlimited

IIRC on older machines graphics, mouse, keyboard could become
unresponsive with prio set to 99. "nice" values are useless for rt.

You should use the rtirq script too. OTOH, somebody already mentioned,
that for using Audacity there's no need for a PREEMPT or PREEMPT RT
kernel.

http://www.rncbc.org/jack/

Be careful when using a rtirq package from official Ubuntu repositories,
nobody seems to test if the script fits to the provided kernel, IOW
sometimes the provided version doesn't work, simply run the script with
the status option, then you'll see if it works and don't forget to set
up the config for the script, OTOH the default likely will be ok for
your setup.

rtc0 should get the highest prio, followed by your sound device.

--
"I Know Where Your Cat Lives visualizes public photos of cats on a world
map using coordinates embedded in their metadata.