[LAU] [Bulk] Noo 'pooter :)

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Aug 27 09:50:49 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 03:56:37AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-08-26 at 21:24 +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:

> > I'm wondering what people might suggest as for best distro to make
> > full use of it
>
> I don't think there is something like the best distro, it's a matter of
> taste.
>
> https://www.archlinux.org/

My own machines and all those at the CdM and CdS have been running
Archlinux for the last four or five years.

It's the right distro if you want to stay in control, but that means
you have to invest some time and learn how to set up things. For the
first install you'll have to do some things manually (e.g. partition
disks, install a boot loader etc.), but the wiki explaining all this
is very good. Package management via pacman is excellent and things
get updated rater rapidly.

Support on the arch-general list is OK, but note that the Arch devs
can be on the arrogant side if you ask questions but fail to read
essential documentation first, or if you question their wisdom.

Ciao,

--
FA