[LAU] Successor/replacement for RME HDSP+Multiface?

Peter P. p8rpp at aol.com
Thu Aug 28 20:07:27 UTC 2014

* Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings at stackingdwarves.net> [2014-08-28 12:03]:
> On 08/28/2014 05:48 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> >

> >On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Jörn Nettingsmeier
> ><nettings at stackingdwarves.net <mailto:nettings at stackingdwarves.net>> wrote:
> >

> >    no personal experience, but i guess the ff400/800 support is fairly
> >    complete by now. check with jonathan woithe on the ffado list to
> >    make sure.
> >

> >just in time for firewire to ride off into the sunset ...
Yes, nice comment Paul. I feel I have to keep chasing laptops that
have either an express card slot or a firewire connector.

> fair enough, but a surprisingly large number of those boxes are
> lying around in institutions and studios (among them, I believe,
> Ardour headquarters :) so it's still kind of useful - the ffs are
> still more or less state-of-the-art in terms of audio quality, so
> it's well worth the extra effort to dig up a firewire card and jump
> through a few hoops if the prize is access to those preamps and
> converters.
Which nicely circles back to my question if there are any settings on
the FF400/800 are settable from within Linux, such as, lets say, +48V
and switchable input jacks etc.

Thanks for all the answers which help to get a good picture of the
current not too bright future vision re pro audio interfaces.