[LAU] html5 audio through jack

Kazakore dj_kaza at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 30 12:09:18 UTC 2014

On 30/08/14 16:23, Iain Mott wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm thinking of updating some of my web pages to use multi-platform
> flash/html5 audio players, at present they use flash only and won't play
> on iPads for example.
>
> Due to some problems I was having with pulse audio in relation to my HDSP
> interface I have recently disabled it and all my audio is running via jack/alsa and
> the HDSP interface. With flash in firefox, there are no problems and the
> audio plays. My .asoundrc is configured with the following:
>
> pcm.rawjack {
>      type jack
>      playback_ports {
>          0 system:playback_1
>          1 system:playback_2
>      }
>      capture_ports {
>          0 system:capture_1
>          1 system:capture_2
>      }
> }
>
> pcm.jack {
>      type plug
>      slave { pcm "rawjack" }
>      hint {
>   	description "JACK Audio Connection Kit"
>      }
> }
>

> pcm.!default {
>      type plug
>      slave { pcm "rawjack" }
> }
>

> HTML5 players in firefox don't play however via jack. When pulse was enabled, HTML5
> content would play through the computer's built-in sound card. Now that
> it's disabled I can't get it to play through jack.
>
> An example page with a HTML5 player is here:
>
> http://www.html5tutorial.info/html5-audio.php
>
> Any suggestions please? A modification of the .asoundrc?
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 14.04
>
> Thanks,

Can't help but can tell you I have the exact same problem! I also don't
get audio from streaming media directly from the internet (eg a web
hosted .ogg) Have you managed to get that working? I use VLC's
Multimedia Plugin for firefox, VLC is set to Jack, also have all
GStreamer routed through Jack, but "normal" firefox audio never reaches it.

Good luck with this one. It's part of the reason Arch is feeling so
appealing to me right now. I can truly get a system with no P(IT)A in
there! ;-)

Dale.