[LAU] MIDI sysex over Firewire - not supported by Jack MIDI?

oli_kester oli_kester at zoho.com
Tue Dec 9 19:29:17 UTC 2014

Hello all

I'm currently having problems backing up my MIDI devices - namely a Korg ER-1 drum machine.

The device sends a MIDI Sysex dump, which I used to be able to receive and record in Qtractor through my M-Audio Audiophile 192 PCI interface.

Now though, I've switched to a Firewire interface, the Edirol FA-101 - and the Sysex messages are no longer getting through. I can still send and record normal notes from my gear. The only difference I can see is that the MIDI now comes through JACK MIDI, not ALSA. I gather this is the way most Firewire cards work with Linux.

I have tried recording using jack MIDI only, and using a2jmidid to get it through to ALSA. I've even tried this dedicated program, to no avail -

http://www.christeck.de/wp/products/simple-sysexxer/

Does JACK MIDI not support sysex at all? Do I have to buy a USB MIDI interface just for my backups? :(

Any help appreciated, as always

cheers, Oliver