[LAU] multiple outputs for drumkv1

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Tue Dec 9 22:52:25 UTC 2014

On Tue, 9 Dec 2014, Harry van Haaren wrote:

> You missed a big discussion on this exact topic that was on just
> yesterday! It came about when a Fabla user requested per-sample outs,
> and we discussed the option of doing so.
>
> Details of the conversation are here:
> https://github.com/harryhaaren/openAV-Fabla/issues/37
>
> Summary of #ardour IRC, discussion with Paul Davis, Robin Gareus and David
> Robillard
> https://github.com/harryhaaren/openAV-Fabla/issues/37#issuecomment-65961486
>
> TL;DR;
> - Hosts should understand these outputs, and display them to the user
> *without* the user having to manually route busses etc.
> - An LV2 extension for audio ports, and audio port grouping can be used to
> achieve this.
> - Fabla 2.0 will initially have "internal-FX busses", and these can later
> be exposed using the above LV2 extension.
>
> I feel its worth noting that advanced users won't mind
> manually-routing said outputs, but since it can be achieved
> transparently using an LV2 extension, I would see that as a great win
> for workflow.

No, didn't know about that!  I agree that it isn't a problem to manually
route, especially since QJackCtl's patchbay let's me save as a preset
whatever routings I create so I can get them back later.  Hydrogen
doesn't attempt to guess where you want them either...  It just gives
you thirty or forty of them and says, "Here, you wanted outputs?"