[LAU] Graphic card

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Fri Dec 26 02:34:38 UTC 2014

On Thu, 25 Dec 2014, Aur?lien Leblond wrote:

> I was wondering if you guys would have a few advice for graphic card?
> My laptop blew up a few days ago, so I'm building a pc to replace it
> (haven't done that in years) - I'm not a gamer, the only things me and
> my wife are doing are music production and photo editing, only running
> Linux.
>
> Any advice between Radeon or GeForce? Which driver is good and doesn't
> disturb Jack or audio latency?

I run the free radeon driver from X.org.  I've heard all the arguments
about how the nVidia closed drivers have better performance, but they
have a bad history of interfering with realtime in the past, the kernel
developers hate them, and I don't like binary mystery code that runs as
root from anybody.

The free radeon drivers have been getting better all the time.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky