[LAU] Is CentOS good for audio stuff?

Roberto Suárez Soto talkingxouba at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 09:21:26 UTC 2014

El 24/12/14 a las 20:46, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano escribió:
>> and Fedora 21 has been out there already for a while.
>
> 2 weeks?

     My fault: I'm quite oblivious of Fedora, and as usually I only peek
its website every once in a while, I always assume that I get the news
some months later. It seems that, for once, I checked it in time O:-)

> Something to remember is that most of what Planet CCRMA used to
> package is now part of Fedora proper. Qjackctl, Ardour, rtirq and all
> usual suspects are in Fedora, so you do not need additional
> repositories for those. As other poster points out there is even a
> "spin" for audio called Fedora Jam. Planet CCRMA still maintains the
> rt patched kernel and "exotic" software like supercollider,
> pd-extended, chuck and others. I hope those will migrate to Fedora in
> due time.

     That's good news. My only qualm about Fedora is that, like Ubuntu,
it has a short life cycle. If I'm not mistaken, there's a new release
each 6 months, and I don't know how feasible would be to upgrade once in
a while, or to keep using an "old" release once two or three newer ones
have appeared.

     On the other hand, if all "standard" audio software is in Fedora,
it shouldn't be that hard to repackage it for CentOS 7. I don't like
recompiling, but repackaging is different. I should be able to do it
just by downloading the src.rpms and rpmbuilding once. Are you aware of
any hard dependency in "the usual suspects" that could keep me from
doing so?

     Thanks,

--
     Roberto Suarez Soto                             You come blazing
                                   Waving your arms and your attitude