[LAU] Headphones

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Sat Dec 27 06:21:47 UTC 2014

On 17 December 2014 at 1:05, Brent Busby <brent at keycorner.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2014, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > I wonder what headphone has a better sound quality than the AKG K 240
> > DF and at the same time is that robust as this headphone.
>
> I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50's.  They're not perfect, but I've found
> nothing better.
>
> The downside is that treble around 2-5kHz is noticeably boosted...not
> enough to sound unnatural, but enough that you can't mix with them
> without keeping that in mind.  (Then again, you're not supposed to mix
> on headphones anyway.)  The slight boost does bring out detail though.

[snip]

> I have AKG-K240's too.  They're more comfortable to wear than the
> Audio-Technicas, but I agree that newer headphones beat them on just
> about everything.

I use AKG K240s to check on a mix as they sound as identical
as I can tell to my Altec Lansing studio monitors.  I also own
ATH-M50s, and agree with the mid-band boost observation.  But,
that's mild compared to the low end boost.  But, the boost can
come in handy when tracking a bass or drums.  I enjoy the M50s.
But, I don't trust them as a reference.  I do see a lot of live
sound engineers using them.

Cheerio...

--
Kevin