[LAU] Headphones

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Wed Dec 17 07:05:14 UTC 2014

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I wonder what headphone has a better sound quality than the AKG K 240
> DF and at the same time is that robust as this headphone.

I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50's.  They're not perfect, but I've found
nothing better.

The downside is that treble around 2-5kHz is noticeably boosted...not
enough to sound unnatural, but enough that you can't mix with them
without keeping that in mind.  (Then again, you're not supposed to mix
on headphones anyway.)  The slight boost does bring out detail though.

I'm not meaning to emphasize the bad parts -- it really is the best I've
found, and I use them for everything, from producing to just casual
listening.  They're good for everything.

> I got my AKG around 30 years ago, when it was the most used and IMO
> best studio headphone used in Germany. Within those decades there were
> several better sounding headphones used in professional studios here
> (but not in my home studio). All of them had a weak point. While you
> can play soccer with the AKG K 240 DF without damaging it, those
> headphones with a better sound quality, that still is relatively
> neutral, so that they can be used for recording in addition to
> monitors (not as a replacement for monitors ;), cause broken noise,
> once they fall down from face value.

I have AKG-K240's too.  They're more comfortable to wear than the
Audio-Technicas, but I agree that newer headphones beat them on just
about everything.