[LAU] New album out: Modlys/2013 - workflow

Atte atte at youmail.dk
Tue Feb 4 21:16:28 UTC 2014

On 02/04/2014 02:39 PM, James Mckernon wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 8:16 AM, Atte <atte at youmail.dk> wrote:
> You use the word 'find'; do you have a large library of drum samples
> you use for this? Or do you synthesize any of your own drum sounds
> from scratch? And a similar question for the other instruments in your
> songs - do you use softsynths, sample-based instruments, or a
> combination?

I have a quite large sample (flac) collection :-)

atte at skagen:~/music/samples$ du -h | tail -n1
39G	.

Some are ancient and sampled on my roland s50 back in the day directly
from vinyl that I personally hunted down in second hand record stores,
most are collected from all over the internet. Others (mostly melodic
non-drum instruments) are samples from the synths I have or have owned
(wavestation, jv80, xp80, micron, m50) or generated with ams,
zynaddsubfx or even the nativ synth in energyXT.

The only synth I really use is Loomer Aspect, although I don't use it
that much.

The main reason why I prefer samples over synths are the "build-in"
complexity with samples. To me music mostly build with synthesizers
tends to lack depth. Don't get me wrong, I like Jarre and Kitaro, but
I'm going for a more organic sound, my electronic heros are Squarepusher
and chr15 + various underground stuff I stumble over from time to time.

I really like to load a sample that might suggest a chord that I don't
even know how is tuned and start messing with it by ear. I love to be
surprised and get pushed to harmonies I wouldn't think of myself.

>> I like to spread out the work of a track over a long time. Work a little on
>> it, then leave it alone for a while and come back to it. For this purpose I
>> made a renoise hackish tool that renders a track to wav from the
>> commandline.
>
> No need to go into too much detail, but as a Renoise user, I'm curious
> - roughly how did you achieve this? Something using Renoise's internal
> Lua scripting?

Yes, it's done in lua. Some things are hardcoded, it works in companion
with a bash script. If this doesn't scare you. I can send you the stuff
off-list...

> I like the idea of listening to and evaluating things in another context.

It's sooo important, at least for me.

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk