[LAU] Focusrite 2i4

James Stone jamesmstone at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 10:40:35 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Tim Goetze <tim at quitte.de> wrote:
> [James Stone]
>>However, I fired up AVLinux, and I can go down to 32/2 @ 48k without
>>this problem. I then tried a generic 3.0.36 kernel on my Ubuntu Studio
>>setup, and although performance isn't that great (bit sensitive to
>>moving windows etc. to cause xruns), I can get down to 32/2 @ 48k
>>without any audible clicks or sound distortions..
>>
>>Might be worth testing?
>
> Tested the 2i4 again here with 3.0.89-rt118 and a variety of
> buffer/period setups, no luck: it's happily crackling away.
>
> For anyone interested in a rough impression, I did manage to record
> the output for live input this time though (on another box, through a
> mixing console, sorry), jackd parameters are in the filename:
> http://quitte.de/tmp/2i4-48k-1024x3-crackle.wav (clicks seem to align
> to 10ms intervals btw).
>
> jackd still reported no xruns, and the input stream shows no signs of
> clicking or crackling.
>
> Cheers, Tim

Thanks for testing this.. Quite weird - so you are getting crackles
even at 1024x3!!? That sounds really odd and definitely an
unacceptable performance. I have definitely not heard anything like
this on my device. I wonder if it is some kind of hardware fault. Are
you able to test it on a mac or windows comupter?