[LAU] Bitwig at long last...?

R. Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Wed Jan 22 20:52:22 UTC 2014

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 22:09:39 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 9:31 PM, R. Mattes wrote:
>
> >> No LV2 or LADSPA support on Linux, though, although they say it's planned.
> >>
> >> At least it supports Jack.
> >>
> >> probably no Linux VST either, which essentially means no plugins at all? a
> > bit of wild choice ...
> >
> > No OSC either ...
>
> 1. Last time I checked, Novation, M-Audio, Roland etc. had no OSC
> keyboards, just regular MIDI ones :)

It would at least be a way to overcome the lack of LV2/LADSPA support by
routing signals via jack into a LV2/LADSPA host. But for that you'd need
a way to control plugin parameters (no, 7bit Midi isn't appropriate for that).

> 2. Whether Linux VST is present is a goddamn _question_ :) Let's not
> jump at conclusions, shall we?

Well, as they say: you get what you pay for (and nothing more!). Whether Bitwig
will later on implement Linux plugin suport _will_ most likely depend on their
Linux market share. And _that_ depends on the feature completness of that port.
Releasing the linux port as a second class citizen is anything but a good omen.

> > So we have a heavily crippled Linux version for 300 Euro?
> > Who will buy this?
>
> Me.

Fine.

> Bitwig is a tool primarily for composition and live performance. You
> don't need every single plugin out there for that, and Bitwig appears
> to have enough built-in effects and instruments to get cracking.
>
> I'm looking forward to both improved MIDI editing in A3 and whatever
> Harry has in the pipeline for Luppp, but so far Bitwig looks like
> exactly what I need for experimenting, trying ideas etc. In terms of
> going from an idea to an actual sound that represents it no
> DAW/sequencer I tried on Linux is good enough, in my humble opinion.
>
> (At which point the usual LAU hell breaks loose, I suppose.)

Why? I shure hope you get the functionallity equivalent to 300 Euros -
and Bitwig doesn't change their  mind and stop Linux support without
later updates (BTW - the licence you buy is for all platforms?).

Cheers, RalfD