[LAU] a question reading linux on stage

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jan 25 07:21:14 UTC 2014

On 01/24/2014 04:17 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 6:11 PM, Harry van Haaren wrote:
>
>>> I'd argue everything should be visible: tabbed UI / expanders can be used
>>> to maximise pixels usage.
>>> Its tabbed / expanders are *not* and ideal workflow
>>
>> </me replies to self, hit send too soon>
>>
>> Tabs / expanders are not and ideal workflow, however if tabs can be
>> side-by-side as well as behind-eachother this is a win-win.
>
> There are all sorts of smart solutions for that where you can tweak
> things without making your content move around.
>
> Example: top toolbar in MyPaint. A brush icon displays the currently
> selected brush, and when you click on it, a small configuration dialog
> slides down on top of  your content to let you configure brush
> settings.

Ages ago, AT&T had a line of pro video capture cards with corresponding
graphic software. The Targa line of hardware, with Targa TIPS as the
graphics editor. The UI was the current image frame you were working on.
Right-click brought up a popup menu, you navigated your way to whatever
tool/setting you needed, then hit OK when you were done.

Very low impact on what needed to be displayed on screen. Could do
something similar for small screens where the screen displays current
status/info, and clicking on a region brings up menus for changing things.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community