[LAU] A text-only environment for composing electronic music?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Jan 26 16:21:44 UTC 2014

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:

> 3a.] A screen/tmux session where different components are loaded onto
> different screens. E.g. teqqer on screen 0, a mixer/instrument
> abstraction on screen 1, a jack patchbay on screen 2, a session
> handler on screen 3, etc.. There's an unclear part about the
> interaction of the session handling with the terminal multiplexer.

I haven't used tmux and so can't comment on it. I do use screen... in fact
I am using it right now to run alpine to write this on my server, and it
works just fine. I prefer using screen to using VTs for two reasons:

1) VTs must be used at the machine and don't seem to work well over serial
connections. Screen works great remotely over ssh as I am now.

2) Screen (and I assume tmux would too) can be started with dbuslaunch.
This means that all of the screens use the same instance of of dbus and so
things that use dbus like jackdbus or some of the session managers will
work.

The one thing I haven't managed to get to work on screen is scrolling up
as I could in VTs or xterms (with shift pageup etc.) I end up running a
command twice first to find out it runs text off the screen and a second
time with a pager. Probably I am missing something.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net