[LAU] Writing jingles

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Jul 2 03:31:01 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014, Louigi Verona wrote:

> This is really a pity, because otherwise OpenShot is a great editor.

> 2. Tried promising Blender Video Editor. Unfortunately, it does not support many
> video formats, at least on my machine and - most importantly - it could not read

In other words, step 1 transcode. Any article about linux video editors
agrees this is a problem. I haven't managed to figure out blender yet.

This sort of makes sense... though I don't know what the formats it
supports are. Think of it this way, would you want to use MP3 as an audio
editing format? Still, the import could do the transcode in the
application though the user might wonder why it took so long... Lots of
audio editors only use wav files.

> 3. Tried kdenlive, hoping maybe it fixed its problems. What do you know - it
> crashes on my Xubuntu 12.04 when I click "Add clip". So much for kdenlive - even
> the stock Ubuntu version does not work, simply incredible.

This was the one that worked for me... But I do very little video. I have
had no problems adding clips or a series of jpgs as video (my son did a
(very) short lego animation all stop frame).

> 4. OpenShot works and I probably will have to use it for quick edits, hoping it
> does not start randomly crashing. I did contact the developers, but there have
> been numerous reports and I just don't think this is fixable by one solution. I
> also am not sure I will receive a reply.

I had crashes as well with openshot. I also found it harder to use than
kdenlive, but that is probably just me, lots of people like it.

> And then when I saw on some site a blogger write that "Linux is the best platform
> for high end video editing", I was just astonished at the insolence of the claim.
> I mean, such nerve...

"high end" means "high end"... Like the shuttle control costs more than
all of my equipment put together.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net