[LAU] Writing jingles

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 03:57:56 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 11:31 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

>> 3. Tried kdenlive, hoping maybe it fixed its problems. What do you know -
>> it
>> crashes on my Xubuntu 12.04 when I click "Add clip". So much for kdenlive
>> - even
>> the stock Ubuntu version does not work, simply incredible.
>

> This was the one that worked for me... But I do very little video. I have
> had no problems adding clips or a series of jpgs as video (my son did a
> (very) short lego animation all stop frame).

I've had the best luck with kdenlive and even produced a training
video for my wife's company with it (including some basic compositing
and animated mouse pointers, and audio & music recorded and mixed with
Ardour). I had better luck building kdenlive from scratch from SVN,
using the latest ffmpeg and other libraries compiled from scratch. It
was certainly more stable than the packaged version and the dev team
even fixed a couple of bugs quickly that I had run into and could
patch into the SVN branch. My biggest gripe about kdenlive is the
reliance on KDE libraries, which makes it inherently resource hungry.
If they stripped it down and just used Qt (like what happened with
Rosegarden), I think it would run more smoothly and not choke on HD
video.

Lightworks I like a lot, I've just started using it, but has a bit of
a learning curve and has some performance issues with the realtime
effects (although they are working on addressing some of these
issues), but for basic video editing, it's fairly stable and
Lightworks has some very nice features for syncing multicamera video
tracks with audio... again, a bit of work getting used to the
Lightworks way of editing, but it's the only affordable commercial
video NLE on Linux. Hopefully when it goes open source it will really
take off.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com