[LAU] Video card joy

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Sun Jul 6 14:28:26 UTC 2014

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 21:21:42 +0200
Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

> On 07/05/2014 05:35 PM, Joe Hartley wrote:
> > Because the GT 640 has 4 ports on the back (2 DVI, 1 VGA and 1 HDMI), and I
> > happened to have 4 monitors here, I went nuts and set them all up.
>
> Why nuts? that's perfect for sound-design.
>
> one for the editor/timeline.
> one for the mixer
> one for the video
> one for the rest (plugins, terminals,..)
>
> ..and then you still want some more for for email, web, IRC :)

I'm definitely in the "must have dual monitor" camp for the editor & mixer
windows.  Add to that the nearfield audio monitors on either side of the
video monitors, and I'm out of desk space!

Besides, I've used window managers with virtual desktops since my days with
the Amiga and Sun's OpenWindows so I can jump from my Ardour desktop
to my developer desktop to my web desktop in a moment.  I can't imagine
working without virtual desktops; it is weird to me that MacOS only
started supporting them 5 years ago and that Windows apparently *still*
doesn't have the capability.

The one thing I'd like is to have a screen to play videos on but since I
still can't figure out how to make YouTube stay full-screen on one monitor
when I'm working on another my motivation for settung up screen 3 is low.
(Though I've just had an undercaffienated revelation now about how that
might even work if I don't make the screen for vids part of the regular
desktop.  Hmmmm, no time to think now, must go pack up audio gear from last night's party.)

It's pretty amazing the tools we have at our fingertips now.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com