[LAU] Video card joy

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Jul 6 15:06:51 UTC 2014

On Sun, 6 Jul 2014, Joe Hartley wrote:

> I'm definitely in the "must have dual monitor" camp for the editor & mixer
> windows.  Add to that the nearfield audio monitors on either side of the
> video monitors, and I'm out of desk space!

I just joined that camp. I don't think I could go back now. At $99 for a
monitor and most video cards supporting at least two (my video controler
should do three, but the MB doesn't have the connector) it just works.

> Besides, I've used window managers with virtual desktops since my days with
> the Amiga and Sun's OpenWindows so I can jump from my Ardour desktop
> to my developer desktop to my web desktop in a moment.  I can't imagine
> working without virtual desktops; it is weird to me that MacOS only
> started supporting them 5 years ago and that Windows apparently *still*
> doesn't have the capability.

Even weirder that some of the Linux DEs (the KDE in Kubuntu) are starting
to hide that capability by default. I do like the new gnome deal that adds
new virtual desktops as you use them... as soon as you use desktop two, it
adds three.

> The one thing I'd like is to have a screen to play videos on but since I
> still can't figure out how to make YouTube stay full-screen on one monitor
> when I'm working on another my motivation for settung up screen 3 is low.

I think this has to do with the player application rather than DE.
libreoffice impress can use one full screen for display while using the
other for application control. Maybe that works because it is still the
same app in the second window. But it just seems to work for me.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net