[LAU] Embertone Friedlander Violin on Linux - was Re: Recommended near-realistic strings section generator?

Aiyumi Moriya aiyumi.br at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 03:43:28 UTC 2014

> [...] If it doesn't work with my newly compiled 64-bit
> Wineasio, I'll see about testing on a live distro. I think I have a
> DVD with KXStudio from last year around here somewhere :P (no screen
> readers in there though).

Great news! I finally found the problem that wasn't letting me run the
standalone Kontakt. I was thinking of testing with KXStudio, and
wondering "If it works, how am I supposed to replicate the
configuration on my main installation? What is in there that I don't
have in my system?". Then I found it. Turns out that it was the
opposite. What does my system have that most others don't? Guess what?
Yes, the screen readers...

I had to temporarily kill my screen readers and resort to sighted help
(Wine doesn't support screen readers anyway). With ALSA and my default
soundcard free, Kontakt started without complaints. It finally let me
get past the audio setup screen and add the library! Launching Service
Center and activating it also went with no problem. Now that the
library is where it should be, I can run Kontakt's VST through
Dssi-VST normally. Speaking of which, just a small correction:

>     $ jack-dssi-host dssi-vst.so:kontakt5.dll&

The VST doesn't need to be run through Jack-dssi-host anymore, because
the more recent Dssi-VST (the one from git) already creates the JACK
ports (that's why now it requires JACK to compile). Just

    $ vsthost kontakt5.dll&

does what I want it to do. The only problem now is that loading
instruments still requires sighted assistance, but that's another
story. What matters is that everything is working. The library sounds
as good as I thought it would, now I "only" need to learn how to use
it :P . No regrets. One more good commercial sample library option for
Linux! The only thing getting in the way is that proprietary download
app, although if the developers do it like some other companies and
provide the download links to users who can't use the app, that would
be solved.