[LAU] Phone to computer adaptor

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Tue Jul 22 03:39:21 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

>> So, can I connect a regular POTS phone via a USB thing? What are they
>> called and
>> do they work with Linux? I assume that the skype phone just acts like a
>> soundcard
>> ... same with what I want?
>>

> Plug it in and see what differences it makes to arecord -l and aplay -l

Ummm ... plug it in? The "real" phone only comes with a regular phone jack.
Surely you're not suggesting I get out my solder and destroy something :)

> POTS phone:
> - expects a dc voltage across the line. Not so phantom, phantom power...
> - expects 600ohm match... depends on how old it is though, newer may be
> less picky
> - runs audio both ways on the same line... this may be more difficult to
> deal with. (echo cancelling)
>
> Better to use two separate lines... prolly what the skype handset does.

Most likely. My computers just see it as a usb card. Actually, I have an
el-cheapo headset with a mic which works the same way. Guess I just want to
avoid getting out the solder stuff ... you really have no idea what a mess
I can make with this!

--
**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca