[LAU] Phone to computer adaptor

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Jul 22 03:57:53 UTC 2014

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014, Bob van der Poel wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>
>       Plug it in and see what differences it makes to arecord -l and aplay
>       -l
>
> Ummm ... plug it in? The "real" phone only comes with a regular phone jack.
> Surely you're not suggesting I get out my solder and destroy something :)

I meant the skype phone  :)  but from one of your other messages it seems
you already know it is an alsa device.

>       POTS phone:
>       - expects a dc voltage across the line. Not so phantom, phantom
>       power...
>       - expects 600ohm match... depends on how old it is though, newer may
>       be less picky
>       - runs audio both ways on the same line... this may be more difficult
>       to deal with. (echo cancelling)
>
>       Better to use two separate lines... prolly what the skype handset
>       does.
>

> Most likely. My computers just see it as a usb card. Actually, I have an
> el-cheapo headset with a mic which works the same way. Guess I just want to avoid
> getting out the solder stuff ... you really have no idea what a mess I can make
> with this!

Nothing wrong with practice  ;)

If you need more phones to practice on, visit your local "goodwill" store
(place where people donate their old stuff and the store sells it for some
non-profit org).

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net