[LAU] [Bulk] Re: Sound Chip as a synthesizer on Linux. Thoughts, ideas?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sun Jul 27 07:00:42 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-07-27 at 05:37 +0000, Kaza Kore wrote:
> And note I said first I knew about Personally (with source code for
> PIC, which is something I had a limited amount of experience in at the
> time through college.) Nowhere did I say it was the first ever DIY
> MIDI project!!

http://www.ucapps.de/mp3/midibox/bsp3.mp3
http://www.ucapps.de/mp3/midibox/bsp2.mp3

There isn't the background noise I know from the C64, sounds usable,
OTOH the sound quality isn't better than that of a virtual synth.
Without the background noise I experienced with my C64, this project is
interesting for some stand alone devices, emulating those old Roland
drum and bass machines, there maybe are such projects:

http://midibox.org/forums/gallery/image/2171-mb808-sequencer-round-caps/

Resume: In combination with a Linux audio computer I would consider to
use a virtual synth to get this sound quality, but since there seems not
to be the background noise the C64 produces, the midibox is interesting
as a standalone device.