[LAU] A short story: from zero to recording the drums in a budget

Carlos sanchiavedraz csanchezgs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 15:21:37 UTC 2014

>> > Not really, sorry.
>> >
>> > And honestly, the only thing I am able to do with so little ram
>> > is to record.  No way I can do editing, and plugins neither.
>>
>> Is it your plugins that are so heavy, or the
>> app the hosts them?
>
> It's A3 taking something like 330 MB just for an empty
> session. The only thing I'd want to do with this system
> is recording (which worked perfectly well for years using
> A2), no plugins or anything else.
>
> I replaced A3 with a simple GUI app doing multichannel
> recording, metering, playback and a stereo monitor mix with
> EQ, solo, mute and two aux sends, but ATM no editing.
> It also allows to set markers and maintain a detailed cue
> sheet of the recording. It does all I need for a typical
> classical music production or live session and takes less
> than 1/10 of the memory plus 1M per channel. Maybe I'll
> add 3 and 4pt editing, that would make it complete.

Fons, what did you use?

One of my ongoing projects tries to have a simple web mobile/tablet
interface to (at least) record with a headless Raspberry PI (well,
with any device in theory).
Right now, with the current development version, I have a Launcher
module where you can remotely.
- run scripts, programs and sessions
- and make simple connections of jack clients
When I play live I use this as well as controlling Rakarrack and
Sooperlooper with a MIDI pedalboard for live-looping sessions.

My ideal goal would be to have in addition the posibility of having
another workflow, a module with some kind of DAW functionality:
- less static (without pre-programmed scripts),
- with a few channels available to route and produce audio for
recording or live improvising (maybe some of them preconfigured with
some effects)
- and record each of them along with their dry signals from the IN
channels (maybe with TimeMachine).

Initially the idea was to implement this with Nama/Ecasound as a
headless (when playing) and also gui DAW (for checking afterwards
connecting a screen), and a platform/middleware I'm developing that
transmit and receives from that web gui I mentioned.

--

C. sanchiavedraZ:
* NEW / NUEVO:     www.sanchiavedraZ.com