[LAU] JACK on Pi... almost working

Gerhard Zintel gerhard.zintel at web.de
Wed Jul 30 09:01:11 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 30 July 2014, Ken Restivo wrote:
> I dunno, I kind of gave up on the project. Maybe I'll try again with
> a BeagleBone Black if I really wanted it to work. A friend gave me the
> run-down on why Raspberries are crappy, and couldn't argue. I've done
> quite a bit of work with BeagleBone's in the past (pre-Black days) and found
> them much better engineered-- real development boards.
>
> The dream 7 years ago was to have a portable, battery-powered, rock-solid,
> headless Linux synth that could be controlled with a keytar-configured
> USB controller for street busking and casual gigs. I'm not gigging anymore
> and can't imagine wanting to, so it's kind of moot now. And yet, having
> that project still un-completed-- but so close to being possible--
> continues to nag at me.

use a Banana Pi, it is not nearly as crappy as Raspberry, much more powerfull (2 cores, 1 GHz, 1 GB), consumes less power and only a bit more expensive:

see here
http://hardware-libre.fr/2014/06/raspberry-vs-banana-hardware-duel/
and here
http://hardware-libre.fr/2014/06/raspberry-vs-banana-vs-a10-olinuxino-powering-and-sata-performance/