[LAU] Streaming radio and calls from listeners

Sam Mulvey sam at vis.nu
Sun Jun 22 20:21:47 UTC 2014

On 06/22/2014 05:03 AM, Carlos sanchiavedraz wrote:
> Given that Skype is available for many mobile platforms, and there are
> SIP clients as well, there's another possibility that should be
> simpler than an extra PC/loopback solution. You could install
> Skype/SIP client on your mobile or tablet and connect device's
> headphone output to the mixer.
>
> On the other hand, there are programs like Rivendel and distros for
> radio stations specific purposes that could be interesting to take
> into account.

If I'm doing prerecorded interviews with Skype, I generally use a smart
phone.  It's a stop gap solution, especially since the Skype caller
isn't getting audio off the board, just audio from the smartphone.   If
your mixer has multiple sends, then you could go that route, but the
mixers that most podcasters are going to have won't.

For live radio, UI concerns are important[1], and having to take calls
on a smartphone *and* manage the rest of the show turns it into a bit of
a mess.  It also makes call screening harder to do, which is something I
really have to do.    That might be well beyond what the OP was asking
for though.

-Sam

[1]: To the point where I'm designing a hardware interface that acts
like the older boards I'm used to, but is all digital underneath.
Right now, I'm using touchscreens, and having to look at what I'm doing
can actually be a problem sometimes.   With pots and switches, I can
feel around.