[LAU] Dithering...should we dither about it?

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 03:38:07 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 2:43 AM, david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
> On 03/01/2014 08:51 AM, Harry van Haaren wrote:
>> I generally export to 32bit float .flac... so no dithering (or burning
>> to CD's :)
> Hmm, I thought FLAC only did 24-bit???
I think the FLAC spec says it will handle anything from 4-32 bit-depth:
https://xiph.org/flac/faq.html#general__samples
That said, Audacity only has FLAC export options of 16 & 24 bit depths.
Ardour supports 8, 16 and 24. Still no 32 bit float support (at application
level).

I should correct my previous statement though: I *thought* I exported 32bit
float: but it turns out they're 24bits (from Ardour3), dithering set to
None. And cropping the resulting output in Audacity and exporting was to
16-bit PCM, so I was actually doing this all wrong (no dithering, 32 -> 24
-> 16).

A better workflow would be to:
A) Ardour export 32 bit float -> 16bit (with dither) -> Audacity 16bit in,
crop, 16bit out
B) Ardour export 32 bit -> 24 bit (no dither) -> Audacity 24bit in, crop,
export 16bit (with dither).

The important part being to not dither twice, since then you'll be adding
noise to the signal twice!

I'll be using option A above from now on I think, since it involves less
bit-depth changes.
Living and learning :) -Harry