[LAU] Dithering...should we dither about it?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sun Mar 2 03:47:22 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 03:38 +0000, Harry van Haaren wrote:
> A better workflow would be to:
>
> A) Ardour export 32 bit float -> 16bit (with dither) -> Audacity 16bit
> in, crop, 16bit out
>
> B) Ardour export 32 bit -> 24 bit (no dither) -> Audacity 24bit in,
> crop, export 16bit (with dither).
>

> The important part being to not dither twice, since then you'll be
> adding noise to the signal twice!
>

> I'll be using option A above from now on I think, since it involves
> less bit-depth changes.
>
> Living and learning :)

When you need to add noise, consider to use proprietary noise :S.

-------- Oops,I used the wrong account: Forwarded Message --------
From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
Subject: Re: [LAU] Dithering...should we dither about it?
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 00:50:58 +0100
Mailer: Evolution 3.10.4

On Sat, 2014-03-01 at 18:51 +0000, Harry van Haaren wrote:
> I generally export to 32bit float .flac... so no dithering (or burning
> to CD's :)

That's good. I keep my recordings as 48 KHz 32bit float PCMs, but I
would be willing to use FLAC too, assumed somebody would be interested
in my recordings and I would be willing to share them. However, what is
dithering ;)? What are CDs?

I remember that a long, long time ago, when [... long story ...] there
were special "noise algorithms" available. It wasn't just steady noise
by what ever waveform. IIRC it was noise, that only was added to low
audio signal levels. Non-free-open-source-noise ;).